So I just did something that Glenn thinks I will regret, but it feels really good at this point. I put a diaper on Aubrey. She had been potty trained for 2 months, rarely having accidents, if any, until we moved. Then she started having about 1-2 accidents a day and progressively getting worse. I cracked down about a month ago and really focused on potty training her. Giving her a gummy bear every time she went on the toilet. It worked...for about a week. Then she started having accidents again. So for the last couple weeks I have been high strung potty training every day. I'm a firm believer that if a kid is ready to be potty trained, it can be done in about 3 days. Which was the case the first time we did it. And that is what is so frustrating to me. I know she knows how to be potty trained, but there is some underlying issue that I can't figure out. I have been really trying to focus as much on her as I possibly can and that hasn't seemed to help. So I stuck her in diapers and will wait patiently until I feel we both can handle taking on potty training again.
So, hopefully I didn't just screw up my 2 year-olds psychosis for the rest of her life. And hopefully I won't be hating life wishing I hadn't done that. But for the moment I'm going to enjoy not having to drag my kid out of the gym kid watch with wet pants and spending precious time cleaning pee off the carpet.
Any advice on this topic would be great. Thanks!
3 comments:
i have no advice, just sympathy. max potty trained after a year and a half of blood sweat and tears. i would do it for a month or two until i couldn't take cleaning poop out of his underpants and then i would put him back in diapers for a while. i wouldn't stress, she is still young and it is normal for them to "unlearn" things with major life changes. you could also try cloth training pants with plastic pants. that's what i did with max. that way he could feel wet and uncomfortable but the mess was contained and I never had to clean anything off the floor. i used "dappis" plastic pants, and got them off ebay. i just used the gerber cotton training pants from walmart.
i am so sorry! from what i understand it is so comman at that age to regress when there are big changes. tristan was a week away from 4 and jenna was 3 1/2 when they started using the toilet. they never had a single accident because they were older and did it by themselves. i never even had to talk to them about getting to the toilet, when they had to go, they went.
tatum decided that there was no need for diapers at the age of 2 and i couldn't make her keep them on so i had no choice. she had accident after accident for a year. i don't think the brain for the most part is ready at that age to do this. addie will have no choices, she will be atleast 3 before i let her even think there is another option. i will tape her diaper to her if i have to. it's not worth it and it just makes a mom crazy.
good luck i know i didn't say anything that could help. i guess i just wanted you to know that you're not alone and that there is a way less stressful way to do it. if you are willing to wait a bit.
Oh man, I would do the same thing!!!! Seriously, potty training seems like the worst thing ever. And I've watched so many people push it and have to spend so much time cleaning up accidents. It's not worth it! My OCD could never take that. Hopefully she'll get herself ready again soon, but I say all hail the diapers! I'm sure her poops are getting pretty big though, lol...that stinks, literally.
Post a Comment