Sunday, February 27, 2011

Tar Pits

In an attempt to cut costs Glenn's company decided to take his company car away. They notified us about a month before they were actually going to take it away, so the last weekend with it we decided to take advantage and squeeze every last drop of gas out of the company that we could. We headed up to L.A. to see the La Brea Tar Pits. It was amazing to see the animal remains that they found in those pits. They found lions, sloths, saber-tooth tigers, woolly mammoths, and even a camel. It's crazy to think that those animals roamed L.A., before it was L.A.
After the museum we headed to the L.A. Temple to see the new visitors center. It was awesome. They have so many neat things to do and see. There were even activities for the kids so they weren't going crazy while we were checking the place out.
Then we headed through Beverly Hills and Bel Air and over to Malibu, Santa Monica Pier and back home. Like I said, we wanted to use as much gas and see as much as we could.
Now that he has turned his car back in his main mode of transportation is his bike. His office is 2.35 miles away (according to my Garmin when I ran there) so we can't really see buying a new car. And Dallin's school is walking distance too, so we are just going to see how long we can last as a 1 car family.
Also in Sorensen news, I have decided to rent a station out of my friends garage that she turned into a salon and do hair on Tuesdays only. I got pretty burnt out doing hair while watching my kids at the same time. And there were weeks where I had at least 1 client every day of the week, which was just exhausting. So now my mom is watching my kids and I can just concentrate on working 1 day a week and the other 6 days go straight to my family. I seriously have been so excited about this. It has given me my passion for hair back that has been gone for a long time. And I have already noticed a difference in my work product. I love that I can concentrate and focus and really feel like I'm good at what I do again. And I feel like it's helping me be a better mom because I'm not neglecting my kids anymore. It's all around a good situation and makes me very happy.





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures! Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun!

Anonymous said...

I totally get ya on the work thing! I ended up cutting back cause I was overwhelmed and felt the same way. Now I just work 1 day a week- on Wednesdays and love it! Still have family time, but me time too like u were saying. Very excited for you!! Great move :)

H said...

LOVE the pictures! How fun! One thing I do regret is not taking my kids there when we lived there.

Shelley Nicole said...

Hmmm...so that's what the tar pits look like. Thank you, now I know. I should since everyone always thinks that's where I'm from. Brea. Oh the tar pits? Actually no...