Thursday, February 24, 2011

B1 Youth Retreat

Glenn & I had reserved my dad's cabin in Big Bear for our anniversary weekend (Jan. 30th) months in advance. One Sunday at church the Bishop came up to me and said:
B: "We picked a date for the youth retreat at your dad's cabin"
Me: "Good, when is it?"
B: "Jan. 28th & 29th"
Me: "really? My dad said it was available?"
B: "sure did"
Me: "he didn't mention that it was reserved for an amazing couple's anniversary?"
B: "nope"
And that is the story of why we played tennis and ate at Quizno's for our anniversary this year. (In my dad's defense his computer crashed clearing the reservations for the cabin. But apparently ours was the only one on the calendar.)
But as for the Youth Retreat, it couldn't have turned out better. I took a bunch of the youth on a hike & to climb on rocks. And somehow some of the young women turned the hike into a photo shoot. Baylee of course started it. We had some free time to play ping-pong, boccerball, darts and other games. We went back to the mountainous area to play capture the flag. Oh and we had a Minute to Win It game. We did YM leaders vs. YW leaders in one round and of course the YW leaders won. And had a devotional before bed. One of my favorite young women who had been inactive for about 1 1/2 years came. I loved spending time with her. We went for a walk in total darkness & freezing temperatures and just caught up on life. I think that was my favorite part. The next day was filled with leadership workshops for the youth. We had the Stake President and Bishop speak, and had a testimony meeting. It was such a great retreat and I had a lot of fun helping plan it. I love working with the youth, even if it is exhausting.




1 comment:

Cate said...

Why is boccerball so incredibly addicting? As of now, I'm the reigning champion among those who went with us a couple weeks ago. Just in case you were wondering.