Monday, November 17, 2008

Fire update

Well, so far we have made it through the fires (although I wouldn't want to see pictures of our lungs right now). Last night the mandatory evacuation area was little less than a 1/4 mile from us. We would have been the next evacuated, but thank goodness we didn't have to. Yesterday we only had Sacrament meeting at church, so people could go home and prepare in case they had to leave. As of yesterday, nobody in our stake lost their house. The smoke had been so thick and ash is all over the place. We had to cover the kids faces while outside and we all struggled to breathe. We are still hearing sirens, so I don't think the fire is out, but I think it's mostly contained. School was cancelled today for all in this school district. Our high school's athletic fields were burnt, and the continuation school was destroyed. Here are some pictures taken in my parents neighborhood on Saturday around 1:00pm.


Today is a lot clearer. We can see blue skies, but it still stinks pretty bad. I'm pretty sure I will be smelling like a bon-fire for the next little while.

3 comments:

Shelley Nicole said...

Sheesh! That's scary! Sad about the HS, but sweet that it got canceled...well, sweet for Bailee. WE would have loved that! Hopefully the air clears up soon!

Aaron & Sara Warren said...

I kept listening for the evacuation line - you guys were REALLY close. It was bad here being stuck b/t the YL fire and the one by you, but I'm sure you guys smell even more like a bonfire than our home. Hopefully it didn't damper the First Birthday Festivities!

eli&joelynn said...

YIKES!! Glad your crew is ok!