This week I had the opportunity to stand on the corner of a busy intersection to hold wave signs for the "YES ON PROP 8" campaign. What an eye opening experience that was. I didn't really want to do it, but I know how important this prop is (and my sister kinda forced me to go with her). I am just blown away at all the people screaming "tolerance" for the gays, then when I share my opinion, they have no "tolerance" for me. We had people yelling "stop the hate" followed by obscenities that are pretty hateful. The "YES ON PROP 8" campaign is not about hate, or intolerance, it's about preserving the divine institution of marriage.
We did have more good honks with thumbs up, then long honks with middle fingers, so that was good.
As for my opinion on this matter...I don't care what gays do. I do have gay friends, and I love them. I feel that people don't understand the consequences of this proposition not passing. A lot of people feel that it won't effect them. That is so wrong! This will effect everyone, for many reasons. Most importantly (to me, at least) they will be teaching in schools, even kindergarten, that it is okay, and normal to marry a member of the same sex. The "no on prop 8" campaign says this won't happen, but in the State of California Legislation it states that marriage and family will be taught in schools. Well, if gay marriage is recognized, then it will be taught. Some people argue that kids don't care, and it won't effect them. Can I just say that my 3 year old son absorbs EVERYTHING! And how confusing that would be for kids.
My next concern is what it will do with society. The divorce rate for gays is at least 150%, where as with heteros it is 50%. What makes a good, healthy society? HEALTHY FAMILIES! With a divorce rate of at least 150%, what kind of healthy families does that bring to society? And I am in no way saying that the 50% for heteros is acceptable. Society has definitely declined as the divorce rate has grown.
A "YES ON PROP 8" vote does not take any right away from the same gender couples, except for the title of "marriage". They still have all the same rights, and privileges as hetero-couple and can still enjoy the ceremony and celebration that unites them. Whereas a "no on prop 8" vote takes away religious freedom from those who do not believe in same sex marriage. Churches will lose their tax exempt status if they refuse to perform marriages for same sex couples. And church adoption agencies will be forced to include same sex couples as adoptive parents.
So please, even if you aren't religious, and don't care either way, VOTE "YES ON PROP 8" to benefit society, and most importantly to help our children and preserve religious freedom.
YES ON PROP 8 !
We did have more good honks with thumbs up, then long honks with middle fingers, so that was good.
As for my opinion on this matter...I don't care what gays do. I do have gay friends, and I love them. I feel that people don't understand the consequences of this proposition not passing. A lot of people feel that it won't effect them. That is so wrong! This will effect everyone, for many reasons. Most importantly (to me, at least) they will be teaching in schools, even kindergarten, that it is okay, and normal to marry a member of the same sex. The "no on prop 8" campaign says this won't happen, but in the State of California Legislation it states that marriage and family will be taught in schools. Well, if gay marriage is recognized, then it will be taught. Some people argue that kids don't care, and it won't effect them. Can I just say that my 3 year old son absorbs EVERYTHING! And how confusing that would be for kids.
My next concern is what it will do with society. The divorce rate for gays is at least 150%, where as with heteros it is 50%. What makes a good, healthy society? HEALTHY FAMILIES! With a divorce rate of at least 150%, what kind of healthy families does that bring to society? And I am in no way saying that the 50% for heteros is acceptable. Society has definitely declined as the divorce rate has grown.
A "YES ON PROP 8" vote does not take any right away from the same gender couples, except for the title of "marriage". They still have all the same rights, and privileges as hetero-couple and can still enjoy the ceremony and celebration that unites them. Whereas a "no on prop 8" vote takes away religious freedom from those who do not believe in same sex marriage. Churches will lose their tax exempt status if they refuse to perform marriages for same sex couples. And church adoption agencies will be forced to include same sex couples as adoptive parents.
So please, even if you aren't religious, and don't care either way, VOTE "YES ON PROP 8" to benefit society, and most importantly to help our children and preserve religious freedom.
YES ON PROP 8 !
4 comments:
I love that you put this out here & are speaking your truth so plainly. It's a very scary world sometimes, but I love it when people take an active role in standing up for what they want.
go brynn!! i'm afraid to put a sign in my yard... let alone stand on the corner... but I do worry just like you. Dude, the last thing I will ever be able to do is homeschool my kids, so dang! we need to keep them teaching this stuff out of public schools!
Good for you! Mostly I'm glad I don't live there at this time cuz I'm not good at this stuff. I don't like to deal with it. So, it's good that you are and do!
Post a Comment